This section of the Department’s enrolment guidelines outlines the obligations on Victorian government schools in relation to placement of students and is referred to as the Placement Policy.
The Department’s Placement Policy embeds the legal entitlement for students to enrol at their designated neighbourhood school, and to enrol at another school if there is sufficient accommodation.
All Victorian government schools must manage enrolments in accordance with this Placement Policy, except those schools where the Minister has approved specific entry criteria, being:
- select entry high schools
- special and special development schools
- English Language Schools and Centres
- camp and outdoor schools
- hospital schools and teaching units
- distance schools
- community/alternative schools
- individual schools with entry criteria as approved by the Minister.
The Placement Policy applies to the placement of students at all year levels, from Prep to Year 12. Single-sex government schools are required to follow the Placement Policy, noting that only students of the requisite gender are eligible to apply.